Google 'Google My Business'!
Updated: Mar 24, 2021
HOW TO SET UP YOUR BUSINESS ON GOOGLE MY BUSINESS!
Google My Business is a free tool that allows you to have a business listing on their search engine! You can add your business information, appear on Google maps and engage with your customers through Google reviews. And, if you’re a verified business you’re twice as likely to be considered reputable by consumers!
And it's FREE!
So why should your business be on Google My Business?
1. Google is the world’s number one search engine and it’s also become the fastest- growing website for customer reviews.
2. Based on a recent survey, 63.6% of consumers said they check reviews on Google before trying any business - which is more than any other review site.
3. Google themselves have said that that customer reviews help determine business search rankings, and experts also believe that these reviews are one of the top local SEO ranking factors today.
Sounds good right?
And here’s how to set up your profile on GMB!
1. Visit Google to sign-in or create a Google account for your business...and then go to the Google My Business home page
2. The screen says ‘engage with customers on Google for free’ click ‘manage now’ Then ‘find and manage your business?’ Type in the business name... If it’s already listed, click on the correct name, if not it will say ‘create a business with this name’
3. What’s the name of your business (auto-filled) click next
4. Choose the category that fits your business best, click next
5. ‘Do you want to add a location that customers can visit, like a store or office?’ Click yes or no
6. If yes, the next page asks for address details.
7. If not, ‘where do you serve your customers?’ is an optional next step ‘What region is your business based in?
8. ‘Contact details’ Add and click next
9. ‘Finish and manage this listing’ click finish
Once you verify your account, you can add all your content!
Here are some things you should remember to add to your business listing:
To verify your business, be sure to enter a business address that Google can locate:
1. Make sure that you enter the complete and exact street address for your location, for example, '1–13 St James St, Nottingham, NG1 6EY.
2. Include suite numbers, floors, building numbers, etc.
3. Only include information that’s part of your official address. And only include information like nearby landmarks where an official street address doesn’t accurately pinpoint your location. For example, avoid adding 'Corner of Standard Terrace and Maid Marian Way' or 'Opposite The Park'.
Business description Add your business description – you have up to 750 characters to summarise your company and make it really stand out! When someone searches for your business this is what they’ll see first as it’s usually displayed next to your online reviews and ratings
Opening hours Be sure to let your customers know when your business is open... You can also add Bank Holidays or special events to your times by entering in the ‘Special Hours’ section.
Services/menu Add all the services that you offer and also include menus, opening hours, disabled access etc. Think about what you’d want to know about a business and include it!
Photos and videos The photos you add to your account are REALLY important... They’re the first impression of your business, and can attract customers or just as easily, drive them away! When asked what was important for them in their local search - 24% of people said profile images were a deciding factor. And people LOVE videos – so add some! They have to be less than 100 MB file size, no longer than 30 seconds and a minimum resolution of 720p
So, there you go - you’re ready to get started on Google My Business! For a more in-depth guide to GMB, we've posted an ‘Essential Guide to Google My Business’ on this page. Enjoy!
Blog created by Jia Balinggao 2021